BGCMS is hiring!
SOMERVILLE-HEALEY CLUB PROGRAM LEADER
The Somerville Boys and Girls Club Program Leader will be a flexible and creative individual who is able to manage youth development programs and activities as well as homework and small tutoring groups. We are looking for someone with demonstrated experience as a youth work professional with youth program leadership experience a plus.
Schedule : This position requires availability Monday –Friday, 1:30 – 6:30 p.m. as well as an additional 3 hours of flexible program planning time to be used prior to Club daily operation hours. This is a part time, school year position equaling 28 HOURS PER WEEK. *This is a school year position through the end of the June. Opportunities are available for up to full-time employment during the summer at our Medford Summer Camp.
POSITION START DATE: February
LOCATION: Somerville Boys and Girls Club, located in the Arthur D. Healey Elementary School
SALARY: $12 to $13/hour, based on experience
**Bi-lingual speakers encouraged to apply — specifically Portuguese, Spanish, and/or Haitian Creole
SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
1. Create and lead programs and activities with an emphasis on one or more of the following areas: Character and Leadership, The Arts, Sports and Fitness, Academic Success, and Health and Life Skills
2. Provide focused academic support, through homework support as well as through education-based programs, to youth ages 6-13.
3. Help ensure that members are encouraged to participate in a variety of program areas/activities and receive instruction and constructive feedback to develop skills in program area(s).
5. Ensure implementation of a high-level of child and Club Safety practices, supervising youth in a shared space program, and following behavior management plans.
6. Set program goals and track program data, including daily program participation and Club member progression.
– High School degree required, some college preferred. Minimum 18 years of age
-Minimum of one year of experience in a Boys & Girls Club or similar youth serving organization planning and supervising activities based on the developmental needs of youth aged 6-14
-Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior problems.
-Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
-Ability to model a professional appearance and team attitude
-Ability to work independently and as part of a team
-Ability to pass a National Criminal and Sex offender background check
Please reply to this post via email. Must include both cover letter and resume as attachments, and please specify the position title (Program Leader) in the subject line. Attention: Ms. Lindsay Smythe, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internship: Executive Assistant
This unpaid internship is a 4-6 month learning experience that will provide insight into the workings of a non-profit, community based agency that serves youth and families. It is an opportunity to get hands-on learning and work experience in nonprofit management, governance, board relations, financial management and audits, and development activities. The ideal candidate has an interest in a career in the nonprofit sector in a management vs. a direct service position.
The Executive Assistant will be able to observe, learn, and do project-based work in all major areas of nonprofit management and governance. S/he will intern under the supervision of the Executive Director who has 17 years of nonprofit experience and a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management. The intern will have the opportunity for observation and hands-on learning in areas such as: Development, Board meetings and Governance, Operations and Community Relations.
Some of the areas that the intern will assist in:
- Coordinating administrative aspects of development activities (i.e. fundraising events, newsletters, and social media campaigns)
- Planning and preparing materials for board meetings
- Researching and recommending community-based support and partnership opportunities
- Helping to develop and implement systems for organizing plans, policies and other core operational documents
HOURS: 15-20 hours/week
SALARY: This is an unpaid internship, with potential for academic credit.
START DATE: This position has a flexible start date.
LOCATION: Boys & Girls Clubs Administrative office, 11 Salem Street, Suite 15, Medford, MA
Submit your cover letter and resume via email. You must include both cover letter and resume as attachments, and please specify the position title in the subject line. Attention: Ms. Lindsay Smythe, Executive Director, email@example.com.